Home Safety Practices
Kitchen Fire - Video
Click on the link below to watch a video that outlines the correct steps to put out a kitchen fire.
Kitchen Oil Fire
- Install smoke detectors on each level of your home and outside of the sleeping areas.
- Keep smoke detectors clean and dust-free.
- Test each smoke detector every month.
- Replace batteries every year.
- Check hard-wired smoke detectors regularly and make sure the signal light blinks.
- There are now smoke detectors for the hearing impaired.
Be Prepared - Your exit plan
- Use extinguishers on small fires only.
- Read all manuals and know how to use your extinguishers before you need it.
- Keep extinguishers in the kitchen, garage, and workshop.
- Purchase an extinguisher that works for all fire types.
- Keep extinguishers out of the reach of small children
- Make a floor plan with at least two means of escape from each room.
- Never use an elevator during a fire.
- If your home has an upper level, easy to use window escape ladders are available.
- Sleep with bedroom doors closed.
- If a door feels hot, DO NOT OPEN IT! Find another way out.
- Practice fire drills, using a variety of escape routes with the whole family.
- Agree on where to meet outside for a head count.
- Never go back into a burning building once you are out.
- Make sure that all exit areas are cleared of clutter.
- Always use a fire screen.
- Don't store papers, wood, matches, etc. near the fireplace.
- Do not have a wooden floor or rug directly in front of a fireplace.
- Have your chimney and fireplace inspected and cleaned before and after each burning season.
- For gas fireplaces, strike the match first, then turn on gas.
- Have a spark arrester installed in the chimney
- Never burn chemically treated products. They can release toxic fumes.
- Never let children or pets near the fireplace.
- Don't build a fire too large.
- Have furnaces inspected and cleaned every year.
- Have furnaces installed by a licensed professional.
- Don't store anything near a furnace, hot water tank or space heater.
- Never leave space heaters on when you are not in the room.
- Keep space heaters three or more feet away from walls and anything that may burn.
- Never use extension cords with a space heater.
- Never use your oven or range as a substitute for a proper heater.
- Always strike the match first, before turning the gas on with a gas space heater.
- Always have your dryer installed by a professional.
- Dryers must be vented to the outside.
- Keep dryer vents clean of lint and dust.
- Never leave a dryer running when you are not home.
- Never put plastic, rubber, foam or synthetics into a dryer.
- Do not use extension cords unless absolutely necessary.
- Make sure all cords used are in good shape with no fraying or worn spots.
- Never overload a socket.
- Only use light bulbs with the correct wattage for each fixture.
- Check wall receptacles to ensure that they are not loose.
- Allow air space around TVs computers, stereos and lamps.
- Never replace a blown fuse with anything other than the correct replacement fuse.
- If your circuit breaker trips constantly, cut down the number of things plugged into that line.
- Always have a qualified electrician install new wiring.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and know how to use it.
- Never put water on a grease fire. Turn of the stove and cover with a lid, or close the oven door.
- Watch children closely in the kitchen.
- Keep pot handles turned towards the back of the stove.
- Don't store items on the stovetop.
- Don't have anything hanging over the stovetop or oven.
- Keep stovetops and ovens clean.
- Always turn off the stove and oven when not in use.
- Check wires of appliances to make sure they are in good order.
- Wear tight fitting clothing when cooking.
- Keep the exhaust hood and fan clean.
- Wipe up spills on the stovetop as soon as it is cool.
- Keep lighters and matches away from kids.
- Practice fire safety with the whole family.
- Watch children closely around fires.
- Never leave children alone with space heaters.
- If a child seems overly interested in fire, consider professional help for them.
- Store only in approved safety containers.
- Keep away from any heat, flame or spark source.
- Never use a flammable liquid indoors.
- Keep flammables away from the house and garage in a separate storage shed.
- Keep children away from flammable liquids.
- Never fill a hot lawnmower, snow blower, etc. Let the engine cool first.
- Always start equipment at least ten feet away from where you filled it.
- Never fill equipment with gas while inside the house, garage, etc. Always fill outside, away from buildings and heat sources.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Don't smoke when tired or drinking.
- Use large, deep ashtrays.
- Empty ashtrays frequently. Don't allow them to overfill.
- Wet butts and ashes before emptying ashtrays.
- Keep matches, lighters and cigarettes out of the reach of children.
- Be aware of what your cigarette, cigar or pipe is doing while it is lit.